Better hearing requires more than just hearing aids. Hearing your best means having the right technology for the right environments that you’re in most often — fit specifically to your unique hearing needs — and maximizing that technology with better communication strategies.
Anytime you or a family member is fitted with new technology, there will be an adjustment period. Regardless of whether the person you’re communicating with has an untreated hearing loss or is using hearing aids for the first time, the following communication tips can be used to enhance your conversations:
- Sit or stand 3 to 6 feet away to maximize audibility
- Stay at eye level to help with visual cues
- Make sure you have the person’s attention before speaking
- Use facial expressions and gestures to accentuate your message
- Raise your voice slightly
- Speak slowly and distinctly
- Use short, simple sentences
- Rephrase your words if the person is having a hard time understanding
- Avoid speaking directly into a person’s ear to avoid distortion
We can help with better communication techniques. Our practice regularly hosts open houses and hearing events in which patients, their family, and friends are welcome to come by and discuss their unique communication issues at greater length.
We recommend booking an appointment for a comprehensive hearing consultation so that our hearing care providers can find out more about your specific type of hearing loss and lifestyle. Contact us to schedule a complete consultation.